134_60_nr2_musique.gif (4520 byte)

CASSANO D'ADDA
Pictures, History, Culture

  Symbol of Cassano d'Adda

CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO ENLARGE THEM

 

The Muzza Canal

The Muzza canal

  

The Center

The centre

  

The Borromeo's Villa

The Borromeo's Villa

 

 The Castle

The castle (877 A.J.)

 

View of the historical center

View of the historical center

 

The Martesana Canal

The Martesana canal

 

 

HISTORY

Cassano is a little town in Northern Italy (Lombardy) of about 17.000 inhabitants and rises on the right side of the Adda river at about 30 km from Milan.

 

Besides the natural river there is another important river connection to Milan; it is the Martesana canal, which was built in 1457 and is the Northern border of the town. In the South-East flows the Muzza Canal, that was built for two reasons: protect the castle, the oldest monument, and giving the necessary water to the hospital in Lodi.

 

In the past there was surely also a small lake called Gerundo, that was already going to dry up during the Teodosio's period. Today is completely disappeared.

 

Because of its richness of water and fruitful soil, many battles were fought here to conquer this land. Since the Carthaginian domination it appeared like a very strategical point.

 

Probably the name Cassano comes from the Roman "Cassius" and it could be the place of Saint Augustine's Conversion (Cassiciacum). The first time its name appears is in a Carlomanno's document dated 877 A.J.. 

 

On the Adda river many battles were fought between the duchy of Milan and the Venetian Republic. Cassano was visited by Barbarossa (1158), Ezzelino da Romano (1259), Eugenio di Savoia (1705), The General Suwarov (1799). Here stood Napolone Bonaparte, in the Villa Borromeo and, in the Villa Brambilla, Napoleone III before the battle of Soferino.

 

The caste of Cassano was the habitation of the Archbishops of Milan until 1311; then it was taken by the Visconti and after by the Sforza. It became feud of D'Adda, Castaldo, and Bonelli. Then it came back to D'Adda.

 

When the industrial revolution arrived, thanks to its canals and proximity to Milan, Cassano was located as the best site for an industrial plant for the production of cords: the "Linificio Canapificio Nazionale". Today it exists again, even if its activity is reduced in comparison with the past, when it was the only industry in the town. Now there are many firms and good possibilities to improve their development.

 

Cassano includes two other small villages: cascine S. Pietro and Groppello d'Adda. The town is plenty of churches, that have important works of art inside. There are also buildings and villas belonged to the historical families.

TO FIND CASSANESI ON THE WEB -   CLICK HERE !  

 

Vote for our site!

 

 

Go to the main page ! Home                                                                                      E-mail me !  

 Realized by MASSIMO FRANZONI (FRANZ)   1998                                            Updated on 08/03/02